Cataract is one of the most common eye disorders. In a healthy eye, the inner lens is completely transparent so the light can go through without any distortion. Cataract is what makes the vision foggy and blurry by changing the anatomy of this inner lens. This causes a loss of vision by blocking lightwaves to go through your eyes. This process is a long term gradual process that continues through time. It is widely seen in elderly people but it can also be seen in these cases;
- New born babies as hereditary,
- Diabetes patients due to high blood sugar level,
- Long term cortisone usage,
- Physical traumas to eyes
What are the symptoms of having cataract?
- Gradually losing vision
- Fading in seeing colors
- Difficulty in nightvision
- Difficulty in reading
- Frecuent change of eye prescription
- Diplopia (double seeing)
- Nuclear cataract. In this case patient is nearsighted, but through time cataract advances and he/she loses vision more and more.
If you have such complaints, please see a doctor to have an examination of your vision quality.
How can cataract be treated?
The only way to treat it is to perform a surgery. Latest developments allow us to have the surgery needle-free and general anesthesia free in one day without the need of staying in the hospital.
The most preferred cataract surgery method is called PHACO(Phacoemulsification) in which the eye’s internal lens is emulsified with an ultrasonic device and aspirated out from the eye. Artificial and soft tissued lens is placed inside the eye. As the incision is very small, there is no sutures. For the last few years thanks to the technological advances, femtosecond laser is also used as a supportive side-method. It allows us to make the small incision without blade, using only laser. Most importantly, it helps us emulsify the inner lens, which means less risk of edema in cornea after the procedure. This method is also called laser cataract surgery.
The artificial lens is as important as the method that will be used in the surgery. It is decided in the pre-operation consultation with the doctor considering the patient’s complaints. There are 3 types of artificial lenses as Monofocal, Multifocal and Trifocal. Depending on the type of lens, the patient is likely to dispose of using glasses.
It is important to wait 4 or 5 days between the interventions of each surgery to avoid any risk of infection.
Instructions for pre and post cataract operation
- Depending on your level of cataract, you may be required to stop taking any asprin or blood thinners 3 days prior to the surgery.
- You can have breakfast on the day of the surgery, having a light one is recommended.
- If you have any systemic disorders such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma etc. you should continue to take the necessary dosage of your medications and follow your regimen as normal. It is recommended to bring your medications to the surgery place in order not to forget taking them, as it is important to maintain the body at its normal level during the surgery.
- On the surgery day please wash your face properly, and do not apply any make-up, lotion, cream etc.
- You can go back to your home after the surgery. You will be called in for a post-op consultation in 36 hours. It is not recommended to drive right after the surgery.
- If you are prescribed two different eye drops, please use them separately and wait at least 15 minutes between each one.
- Please apply your eye drops by looking up and stretching your lower eyelid down.
- You can apply your eye drops in daytime, no need to wake up from your sleep at night.
If you haven’t received additional information, you should use your eye drops for 15 days
Table of Contents
- What are the symptoms of having cataract?
- How can cataract be treated?
- Instructions for pre and post cataract operation
- Cataract Cost
- Cataract Reviews
- Cataract Questions
- Can I have cataract or other eye surgery after my laser treatment?
- Will I have to use glasses after cataract surgery?
- Do I need to lose the most of my vision to have cataract surgery?
- Do I need to have general anesthesia during my cataract surgery?
- Can I have laser eye surgery after my cataract surgery?
One of our patient coordinators will sincerely answer any questions you want to ask about Cataract. Cataract details, cost, reviews from other patients who performed Cataract surgery in Turkey before and results. Do not hesitate to ask all you want to know about Cataract surgery.
Cost of Cataract operation depending on various factors. Such as the experience of the doctor who will perform the Cataract operation, and the hospital equipment. In the table below, you can see the comparison of the price of Cataract operation between Turkey and other countries (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Poland, Mexico).
|Country||Cost of Cataract|
|Turkey||$1250 - $2750|
|United States of America||$3200 - $6500|
|United Kingdom||$3900 - $8800|
|Czech Republic||$2250 - $4750|
|Poland||$2000 - $3750|
|Mexico||$2700 - $5500|
|Italy||$3500 - $8000|
As can be seen price comparison table Cataract operation cost in Turkey starting from $1250 per eye and it's 60% more economical comparing with the prices in USA, United Kingdom and Europe. The cost of laser eye surgery in Turkey is lower than in the UK, USA and Europe, but the low operating costs does not mean that the quality of medical service is low quality. For this reason Cataract one of most popular surgery in Turkey and nearly 40.000 Cataract surgeries are performed in a year.
The main reasons why patients choose Turkey to have Cataract surgery:
- All Inclusive Package Price: The most important criteria that people who want to have a Cataract operation look for and want in terms of price is clarity. Turkey has a price advantage compared to Europe, America or UK with its quality treatment, accommodation, transfer services and all-inclusive price. As TravelMEDI, we would like to remind you that within the Cataract treatment, treatment costs (such as surgeon fee, medication fee, equipment fees, hospital fee, test fee), accommodation fee, transfer fees between the hospital and the hotel or the airport and the hotel are included in the operation price.
- High Level Healthcare System: Turkey was one of the rare countries that did not experience a crisis in the health system even during the pandemic period, because it has large-scale and systematic health institutions (hospitals, number of experienced doctors, private clinics, well-equipped nurses and assistants). As TravelMEDI, we offer our patients the maximum health service at the most affordable prices in cooperation with experienced specialist doctors and highly equipped hospitals.
Reviews of our patients who prefer TravelMEDI for Cataract operation around the world and their Cataract experience.
I recently consulted TravelMEDI about a myopia treatment. I was really impressed with the team's expertise and knowledge. They were able to provide me with a number of options that suited my needs perfectly.
The femto lasik procedure was performed by the team with great precision and care. The results were excellent, and I now have 20/20 vision without any glasses or contacts. I would definitely recommend TravelMEDI to anyone looking for a myopia treatment that is safe, effective, and affordable.
I suffer from astigmatism and have been considering corrective eye surgery for some time. I was very impressed by the various treatments and procedures that TravelMEDI offers.
iLASIK procedure is by far the most popular option and It's a relatively simple and safe procedure that requires just a few minutes of surgery. Afterward, you can go about your day as normal without any pain or discomfort.
Agata Ó S.
I must say that I'm extremely happy with service I've received. The team is professional and courteous, and they take their time to listen to your concerns and answer all your questions.The cataract treatment I underwent was life-changing. I no longer have to worry about blurry vision or discomfort from wearing glasses. My vision has improved dramatically, and I can finally see clearly without them. I highly recommend TravelMEDI to anyone who is looking for a top-quality