Gastric Sleeve General Overview
Duration of Intervention
Return to Social Life
Return to Work
Sports Activity Recovery
Average Pain After 3 Days
*Pain rating scale: from 0 = absence to 5 maximum pain
Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy)
In Gastric Sleeve Surgery (Sleeve Gastrectomy), also known as stomach reduction surgery, the area called the big curvature (long and outer side) of the stomach is removed and the stomach is turned into a tube shape. Gastric Sleeve is the most commonly applied obesity surgery both in Turkey and in Europe. The main objective of Sleeve Gastrectomy is to decrease the Ghreline Hormone by making Fundus part of stomach smaller. Once Fundus part is cut out, appetite decreases and the patient eats less than before.
How Gastric Sleeve Surgery is performed?
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery is performed under general anesthesia and it is done laparoscopically which is closed method. During the procedure, the abdominal wall is not cut out, the operation is performed with special surgical instruments with a camera attached on the tip. In this way, recovery after surgery is faster.
Who can have Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Patients that have BMI higher than 40kg/m2
- Patients that have lower than 40kg/m2 of BMI and have side-illnesses such as hypertension, sleep apnea etc.
- Patients that have 30-34,9kg/m2 BMI and diabetes out-of-control
Obesity interventions should not be considered as aesthetic surgeries that make the patient slimmer.
At what age one can have Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Stomach reduction surgery can be performed to people aged 18-65. The body mass index (BMI) values must be 35 and above in order to be a suitable candidate for such procedure.
Those at the age of 18 and under need to be examined by doctor and have to have an approval by their parents.
Those at the age of 65 and above have to be examined medically and the need of the surgery has to be discussed.
Is there any pain after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery is performed laparoscopically, by making small incisions in abdomen. These incisions are millimetric.
In laparoscopical surgeries muscle tissues are not cut or damaged, therefore patient does not experience so much pain after the surgery. He/she is prescripted painkillers just in case.
Those who undergo Gastric Sleeve Surgery can stand up and slowly walk the night of procedure and usually no pain occurs 2 days after.
How many days do I need to stay in the hospital after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
After the operation, patients stay in the hospital for 48-72 hours. This time period may change depending on the patient’s preoperation weight and additional diseases.
How should nutrition be after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
After the operation,
- Liquid nutrients should be consumed in the first 2 weeks,
- Soft and watery food between 2 and 4 weeks,
- Solid/dry foods from the 5th week
Patients should consume at least 1.5-2lt of liquids daily. Patient especially should consume healthy foods rich in protein and poor in calories.
How much weight can be lost with Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Those who have Gastric Sleeve Surgery lose 60% of their excess weight in 5 years after surgery. This method is almost equivalent to gastric bypass (stomach bypass) in weight loss. Since absorption process is less than Gastric By-pass, constant vitamin and mineral support is required after Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery.
If Gastric Sleeve Surgery loses its effectiveness in the long term and the patient gain weight again, gastric bypass should be preferred as the next surgery method.
The rate of weight re-gain after Gastric Sleeve Surgery is around 15%. Even after the surgery, it is possible to become morbidly obese again with a probability of 5 -10%. For this reason, it is very important for the doctor and dietician to follow up the patient in order to prevent from gaining weight again.
What are the advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy?
- It is a surgical technique that provides very good results in average and morbidly obese patients.
- Co-morbid diseases related with obesity such as hypertension, sleep apnea and diabetes tend to recover 70-80% after surgery.
- This method does not require any intestine cut or removal
- It does not change the funcion of stomach, it only cuts down the volume & space of it. Therefore patient can consume everything in small amounts.
- The majority of patients lose 50% of their excess weight in the first six months after surgery.
- By removing 75% of the stomach wall, Ghrelin hormone production which gives a feeling of hunger, is mostly eliminated as well and therefore the feeling of hunger is decreased.
- As with surgeries that include a bypass of intestines, no mineral and vitamin absorption disorder which is important in elderly patients.
- Better tolerance for sugar, and sugary foods.
- There is nothing artificial located inside the body, therefore it is much more comfortable than Gastric Band.
- Long term postoperative complications are very rare. Whereas, 25% in the gastric band and 10% in gastric bypass long term complications can occur.
|Diseases Associated with Obesity||Recovery Rate (%)|
|Reflux Gastroesofagian (BRGE)||60|
|Osteoartrit in Junctions||75|
|Diabetes Type II||50-64|
There are multiple surgical options as a treatment for morbid obesity. Sleeve gastrectomy is one of the most commonly used methods amongst them.
Your doctor will advice you the most suitable surgical options after evaluating your weight, co-morbid diseases and surgical risks. Your life will change in a few months. It is possible to return to life and a live freely from obesity.
Table of Contents
- Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy)
- How Gastric Sleeve Surgery is performed?
- Who can have Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- At what age one can have Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Is there any pain after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- How many days do I need to stay in the hospital after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- How should nutrition be after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- How much weight can be lost with Sleeve Gastrectomy?
- What are the advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy?
- Gastric Sleeve Cost
- Gastric Sleeve Reviews
One of our patient coordinators will sincerely answer any questions you want to ask about Gastric Sleeve. Gastric Sleeve details, cost, reviews from other patients who performed Gastric Sleeve surgery in Turkey before and results. Do not hesitate to ask all you want to know about Gastric Sleeve surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Cost
Cost of Gastric Sleeve surgery depending on various factors. Such as the gastric sleeve operation technique, the experience of the doctor who will perform the Gastric Sleeve operation, and the hospital equipment. In the table below, you can see the comparison of the price of Gastric Sleeve operation between Turkey and other countries (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Poland, Mexico).
|Country||Cost of Gastric Sleeve|
|Turkey||$3000 - $4200|
|United States of America||$8500 - $33000|
|United Kingdom||$9500 - $34000|
|Czech Republic||$5500 - $7000|
|Poland||$5000 - $7500|
|Mexico||$6750 - $18000|
|Italy||$8500 - $19500|
As can be seen price comparison table Gastric Sleeve operation cost in Turkey starting from $3000 and it's 60% more economical comparing with the prices in USA, United Kingdom and Europe. The cost of bariatric surgery in Turkey is lower than in the UK, USA and Europe, but the low operating costs does not mean that the quality of medical service is low quality. For this reason Gastric Sleeve one of most popular surgery in Turkey and nearly 40.000 Gastric Sleeve surgeries are performed in a year.
The main reasons why patients choose Turkey to have Gastric Sleeve surgery:
- All Inclusive Package Price: The most important criteria that people who want to have a Gastric Sleeve operation look for and want in terms of price is clarity. Turkey has a price advantage compared to Europe, America or UK with its quality treatment, accommodation, transfer services and all-inclusive price. As TravelMEDI, we would like to remind you that within the Gastric Sleeve treatment, treatment costs (such as surgeon fee, medication fee, equipment fees, hospital fee, test fee), accommodation fee, transfer fees between the hospital and the hotel or the airport and the hotel are included in the operation price.
- High Level Healthcare System: Turkey was one of the rare countries that did not experience a crisis in the health system even during the pandemic period, because it has large-scale and systematic health institutions (hospitals, number of experienced doctors, private clinics, well-equipped nurses and assistants). As TravelMEDI, we offer our patients the maximum health service at the most affordable prices in cooperation with experienced specialist doctors and highly equipped hospitals.
Gastric Sleeve Reviews
Reviews of our patients who prefer TravelMEDI for Gastric Sleeve operation around the world and their Gastric Sleeve experience.